Statistics show that infertility affects almost 12% of all women as soon as they reach the early stage of adulthood. This becomes quite a dilemma particularly when signs of infertility only become apparent and noticeable when a woman begins to start a family. Although the symptoms vary from one person to another, there are still general signs that one can look out for. Here are some things you should ask your Houston OBGYN next time you come in for a check-up:
• Being too overweight (obese) or too skinny. If your body is not healthy, it is not in the best condition to conceive. People affected by obesity often have hormonal imbalances that prevent them from being fertile or getting pregnant. People who are undernourished, meanwhile, have a hard time giving birth or carrying babies to their full term.
• Having an irregular menstruation cycle. If you have an erratic monthly period this might be a sign of infertility. If your period is longer than 35 days or shorter than 21 days, this means that you have irregular periods. Although this is common among a lot of women, this still poses a concern because you are not ovulating properly and regularly. Your body might not be releasing mature eggs that are important in conceiving.
• Being addicted to drugs or alcohol. Substance or alcohol abuse will likely lead to damaging your health and your body. Since you are filling your body with drugs and alcohol, you are not making it conducive in nurturing new life.
• Being exposed to sexually transmitted diseases. Having multiple sexual partners increases the risk of having diseases, particularly if you are having unprotected sex. This can also be a factor of being infertile later on.
• Having other chronic illnesses. If you are diabetic, hypertensive or have thyroid problems, you may also be at risk at having fertility problems. This also applies to women who have cervical obstructions or problems with their uterus.
You can ask your Houston OBGYN to evaluate you regarding the above symptoms. A physical examination is a must, not only for you but for your partner as well.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.