Whether you’re an expecting mom or not, every woman needs to have an OBGYN that she can trust. Most assume that once you get pregnant, that’s the only time that you need to see the doctor and ask questions about “what’s down there.” The fact of the matter is, every sexually active woman should have annual OBGYN visits as it is part of being healthy and taking care of your body. Houston prides itself for being one of the best places that offer the highest quality obstetrical and gynecologic care in the US today. But with so many physicians out there, how can you choose? Here are 5 tips for finding the right Houston OBGYN for you:
- Make a list of Houston OBGYN specialists. Ask your mother, girlfriends and other people you are close to for recommendations. If you already have a family doctor, you can ask him/her as well. You can also go to your local hospital and inquire there.
- Make a list of your criteria. For instance, would you like to confide in a female or male OBGYN? Someone about your age or older? To whom are you more comfortable talking about very personal matters? Keep in mind that your Houston OBGYN will physically examine you, too. Would you require a nurse to be present while this is going on? Check out the video for a fun look at why some women prefer female gynecologists. Houston OBGYN-5 Reasons To Choose a Woman
- Research their credentials and experience. It is important that he or she is certified and can legally practice his/her profession. Check out http://www.abog.org to see if the doctor is board certified. Come in for trial visits and get to know him/her first. Find out if he/she has been involved in any of the following cases: sexual harassment and abuse, malpractice, etc. Achievements, awards, a good reputation and being well-known in the community are also important.
- Consider his/her location. Your Houston OBGYN should definitely be close to where you live, especially if you’re pregnant. You need to have easy access to him/her especially when there’s an emergency. When you search “Houston gynecologist” you will see several listings with letters by them. The websites with the letters is Google’s way of trying to show you a “Houston Gynecologist” near you. “How do they know that” you ask!
- Consider the limits of your health insurance. Find out if you are in fact free to choose any Houston OBGYN or if they would be providing you with their own list of doctors.
For a list of 20 questions you should ask your potential GYN, this website has a downloadable report you can use.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.