For many women, menopause is a very uncomfortable time of life. These women visit their Houston OBGYN seeking advice on how to live more comfortably until the active symptoms pass. If you are among those uncomfortable with the onset of menopause symptoms, consider some little known ways to overcome your discomfort:
1. You can control night sweats by watching what you eat. Spicy and acidic foods are known to cause increased hot flashes and night sweats.
2. Avoid alcohol as it can increase the intensity of hot flashes and night sweats.
3. Moisturizing the vagina before, during and after sex can make sex during menopause more comfortable and relieve menopausal dryness.
4. Remain as active as possible as a sedentary lifestyle can increase problems with insomnia, depression, and memory problems.
5. Mood swings can be eased or controlled by taking up hobbies, exercising daily, and making sure there is always a goal to aim for. You should feel like there is a purpose for getting out of bed each day.
Getting through menopause typically requires a healthy lifestyle. If you maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, and eat healthy foods you will have an easier time getting through menopause.
Do you have more questions about surviving menopause? Contact your Houston OBGYN, Dr. Lisa Otey, on her website today.