Many women believe they are experts on vaginal bleeding simply because they have experienced it many times. Unfortunately, every Houston OBGYN knows that most women are missing pivotal information regarding this unique form of female bleeding. Take this test to see what you really know about vaginal bleeding:
1. There is no way to stop your period for a short period of time. True False
2. There is nothing you can do about very heavy periods. True False
3. Your menstrual flow will stop when you get into a pool of water. True False
4. Girls can start their period before developing breasts. True False
5. Some vaginal bleeding after sex is completely normal. True False
Now for the answers:
1. False. An OBGYN can help stop or delay a period for a short term. There are several methods that can work, but it has to be cleared with a doctor who knows your personal history.
2. False. Heavy periods can be lightened or completely stopped with the help of your OBGYN.
3. True. The pressure of being under the water is known to stop menstrual flow from coming out. The problem is it builds up and then gushes out once you get out of the water.
4. False. Girls will have their first period within a few years of starting to develop breasts.
5. False. Vaginal bleeding after sex is not normal.
Are you ready to learn more about vaginal bleeding? Come see your Houston OBGYN, Dr. Lisa Otey today.